The Blackwood Football Club wishes to inform its members and supporters that Kurt Thompson will hang up the boots after 94 games in the red and green. The four-time Moulden Medallist and 2017 A-Grade Premiership Captain announced his retirement after receiving news that he injured his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) during the Round 1 fixture versus Mt Lofty.
Joining the Woods for the 2015 season, known for his raking right boot, dashing run and high marking across the half back line, Thompson quickly established himself as one of the premier players of the Hills Football League competition. After winning his first best and fairest in 2015, he became captain of the club for the 2016 and helped to end the 26-year premiership drought for the Woods in 2017.
Thompson retires from the red and the green with the following statistics:
- 94 games (All in A Grade)
- 55 wins, 36 losses, 3 draws (58.51% winning record)
- 4 goals (scored one goal in four matches: Round 6 2015, Round 3 & 5 2016 and the Elimination Final 2018)
- 54 times in best players (1st: 18, 2nd: 12, 3rd: 10, 4: 7, 5th: 7)
- A Grade Captain (2016 to 2019)
- 4 Moulden Medals (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- 1 Premiership (A Grade 2017)
- 53 mail medal votes (3 votes: 11 times, 2 votes: 7 times, 1 votes: 6 times)
- Most wins against – Mt Lofty (11 wins, 1 loss)
- Biggest winning margin – 124 points (Round 3 2016 versus Ironbank)
- Most times in best players against – Lobethal (8 times from 10 matches)
Check out some of the best memories Kurt provided us below